- This event has passed.
Pray on MLK
August 8, 2020 from 6:01 pm - 8:01 pmFree
Our cities are divided by streets that have chained us to inequity, created walls of division, and borders of fear that keep us apart. We’re coming together to form a nationwide, multi-ethnic human prayer chain to break the chains of injustice and usher in a new era of pursuing the dream of God. On August 8th, 2020, on a Martin Luther King Jr. street in your city, we’re inviting you to take your place side-by-side with brothers and sisters on the wall of history and stand in solidarity against racism and injustice.
For the Boston event, we will be meeting at:
330 M.L.K. Jr Blvd, Roxbury, MA 02119 from 6:01pm-8:01pm.
How it works
- Bring with you white duct tape and write a word over the tap that signifies your prayer’s focus. Words like love, justice, equity, healing, unity, etc.
- People will line up side-by-side, 6 feet apart, with the tape over their mouths in silent prayer.
- Because these gatherings are unique, people may come up and ask questions. We recommend appointing a person (like your Local Director) to handle questions from passersby or media. Remember to use restraint and discernment when addressing divisive topics brought up by the public. You are there for Jesus and his Kingdom, not any specific political ideology.
- There is no minimum or maximum number of people needed.
- We recommend one hour of prayer followed by one hour of worship and joyful proclamation.
- Suggested prayer: “Jesus, I plead your blood over my sins and the sins of my forefathers. God, tear down wickedness, raise up righteousness, and release healing in America.”
- White tape (Safety Tape or Duct Tape), thick black Sharpies, Grape juice and bread for communion
- Get our Resource Pack at prayonmlk.org and use #JesusIsJustice #CivilRighteousness